The National Mall and the Washington Monument circa July 2016.
|Location||United States, Earth|
|Events||War of 1996|
War of 2016
Washington, D.C. is the capital of the United States of America.
- 1 History
- 2 Gallery
- 3 Behind the Scenes
- 4 References
- 5 External links
History[edit | edit source]
Post War of 1996[edit | edit source]
After more than a decade since the invasion, Washington was finally reconstructed with a refurbished skyline. Fragments of the original Capitol building were saved and made part of a memorial museum. The National Mall was redesigned and rebuilt around the new Capitol, which commemorated the War of 1996.
In July 4, 2016, President Elizabeth Lanford hosted the celebrations for the 20th anniversary of the War of 1996 in Washington. However, the celebrations was disrupted by a second alien invasion. Washington was again devastated, but not completely destroyed, as one of the mothership's landing struts ravaged parts of the city. Subsequently most of the Capitol Mall survived with the White House taking some damage.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Arrival of the Destroyer[edit | edit source]
The Destruction of the White House[edit | edit source]
The Destruction of the United States Capitol[edit | edit source]
20th Anniversary[edit | edit source]
Arrival of the Harvester Mothership[edit | edit source]
Behind the Scenes[edit | edit source]
- The destruction of the U.S. Capitol depicted in Independence Day was a miniature filmed on its side with the camera shooting down on the model. Only the front half was built, and internal charges were timed to detonate just as the fireball wrapped around it.
- The rebuilt Washington, D.C. depicted in Independence Day: Resurgence has high-rises. In real-life, Washington is restricted from constructing buildings to no higher than 130 feet under the Height Buildings Act of 1910. Apparently in the world of Independence Day, the Height Act was overturned in the aftermath of the War of 1996.
References[edit | edit source]
- Independence Day: Crucible
- How I Saved the World
- Independence Day: Resurgence
- Freed, Benjamin (April 22, 2016). "Independence Day Sequel Features DC Rebuilt Without the Height Act". Washingtonian.